In this re-visit of a 2016 conversation, we dive into the concept of deep work with special guest Cal Newport. He believes that deep work is the solution to the problem of perpetual shallowness and frustration with your creative output. Deep work is when you intensely concentrate on a cognitively demanding task without any distractions. It’s a skill that is becoming increasingly valuable in our current economy, yet it is also becoming more rare. Cal explains that deep work needs to be trained and developed, and that it is the key to thriving in today’s economy. He also emphasizes the importance of differentiating between deep work and shallow work, with deep work being the type of work that produces massive new value and helps you advance in your career. Throughout the episode, Cal provides practical tips and strategies on how to engage in deep work more purposefully.
Key learnings from this episode:
1. Deep work is a valuable skill that is becoming increasingly rare in our current economy.
2. Engaging in deep work is essential for producing meaningful and high-quality work.
3. Deep work requires intense concentration and focus without any distractions.
4. It is important to differentiate between deep work and shallow work, and to prioritize deep work for career advancement.
5. Developing deep work as a skill takes practice and training, but the rewards can be significant.
Get three quick ideas to start your week off right. Subscribe to 3 Things at ToddHenry.com/subscribe.