In this episode of The Accidental Creative, we sit down with Taylor Lorenz, author of the book Extremely Online: The Untold Story of Fame, Influence, and Power on the Internet. Taylor discusses the revolutionary impact of the social Internet and how it has disrupted traditional notions of fame and power. We dive into the early days of e-celebrities, the evolution of platforms like YouTube and TikTok, and the current state of monetization for content creators. Taylor shares her insights on the maturity of these platforms and her predictions for their future trajectory. Tune in to gain a deeper understanding of how these forms of media are impacting society.
Key Learnings from this Episode:
1. The rise of the social Internet has upended traditional notions of fame and power.
2. Early e-celebrities struggled to monetize their online presence, but now there are more opportunities for content creators.
3. Platforms like YouTube and TikTok were initially dismissed as novelties but have since become influential forces in our culture and society.
4. The maturation of these platforms has led to better monetization options for creators.
5. It’s important to recognize the underestimated potential of emerging platforms and understand their impact.
Get three quick ideas to start your week off right. Subscribe to 3 Things at ToddHenry.com/subscribe.